• Users Online: 275
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Referee Resource Subscribe
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2014  |  Volume : 1  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 50-53

Comparison of metabolic parameters in hyperandrogenic and normoandrogenic women with polycystic ovarian syndrome


1 Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, University College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
2 Department of Medicine, Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, University College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Garima Yadav
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecoloy, Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital, University College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi - 110 095
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2394-4285.146705

Rights and Permissions

Objectives: The aim was to compare the metabolic derangements in normoandrogenic and hyperandrogenic women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional comparative study was designed to compare the metabolic derangements in normoandrogenic and hyperandrogenic women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Hyperandrogenic women were defined on the basis of either biochemical or clinical evidence. Metabolic derangements were compared among the two groups based on various parameters including serum triglyceride level (≥150 mg/dl), high-density lipoprotein (≤50 mg/dl), fasting blood sugar (FBS) (≥100 mg%), impaired glucose tolerance (2 h postprandial BS ≥140 mg%) and fasting glucose/fasting insulin (FI) ratio (≤4.5). Results: Among 200 PCOS women included in this study, 120 (60%) women were hyperandrogenic whereas the rest 80 (40%) women were normal. Among the two groups, there was no significant difference between the anthropometric parameters including the body mass index, waist circumference and waist-hip ratio. Level of glucose intolerance was measured using FBS, oral glucose tolerance test and FI levels, but there was no significant difference found between the two groups (P > 0.05). Furthermore, androgen excess was not found to be associated with derangement in lipid profile. Conclusion: PCOS is definitely a risk factor for metabolic derangement but it is irrespective of androgen excess, as observed in the above study. Normoandrogenic PCOS women are equally at risk of metabolic derangements; therefore, they should also be screened for metabolic abnormalities at first detection.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2101    
    Printed146    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded268    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal